Title: Dakota Language Archives and Collections Assistant
Reports To: Dakota Studies Program Director
Tour of Duty: Grant funded position
The Dakota Language Archives and Collections Assistant will be primarily responsible for gathering/organizing information and adding information to the Dakota Studies Department Past Perfect Museum software. This includes meeting standards to allow for the collections database to be accessible online. In addition to data management, this position will also be required to assist with Dakota language documentation, working with elders, fluent speakers, linguists, and other applicable professionals and specialists. Other duties will be assigned as needed.
1. Input and update data.
2. Document and object digitization.
3. Coordination with various Dakota Language and Museum entities.
4. Works with fluent first language Dakota speakers and elders on language documentation.
5. Applies best practices for working with fluent speakers including.
6. Demonstrates an understanding of Dakota Wicohan, its ethics and principles.
7. Work with visiting Elders weekly.
8. Work with Dakota Language facilitator on a regular basis.
9. Complies with all College, Tribal, and Federal policies, regulations, and laws that govern the college.
10. May be required to assist with events and travel.
11. Performs other duties as assigned.
• High School diploma or GED required.
• Has received Dakota Language Teaching Certification or will receive certification by August 2018.
• Proficient with Microsoft Office, office machinery, and social media.
• Familiar with Past Perfect Museum Software.
• Must have excellent verbal and written communication skills.
• Must have completed SWC’s Dakota Language I course or higher course level within the last four years.
• Must be comfortable handling museum collections and historic documents.
Required Skills and Attributes
• Must be motivated to learn the Dakota language.
• Excellent planning, organizational, and time management skills (including punctuality).
• Ability to work well as a team player.
• Displays high standards of ethical conduct. Conducts oneself with Dakota Wicohan.
• Will maintain a drug and alcohol free lifestyle.
• Works with minimal supervision. Demonstrates responsible behavior and attention to detail.
BA in Museology, Linguistics, Dakota Studies or related field.
Understanding of linguistics.
SISSETON WAHPETON COLLEGE
Dakota Studies Program
JOB OPENING – CLOSES FRIDAY, JANUARY 19, 2018