Title: Dakota Language Learner (5)
Reports To: Dakota Studies Program Director
Tour of Duty: Grant funded position
The Dakota Language Learner will be responsible for progressively learning the Dakota language under the mentorship of fluent Dakota language speakers and Dakota Studies Advisors. The Dakota Language Learner will be required to sign a one-year contract and this position will end upon the conclusion of the grant-funded project. Upon completion of this project, the Dakota Language Learner must commit to two years as an immersion educator for Sisseton Wahpeton College and/or the Sisseton-Wahpeton Oyate.
1. Attends all Dakota language sessions and classes as required.
2. Sets quarterly language learning goals with guidance from mentors and advisors.
3. Demonstrates clear progress by achieving language learning goals, gauged through quarterly assessment.
4. Demonstrates an understanding of Dakota Wicohan, its ethics and principles.
5. Will be responsible for at least five hours of student teaching a week.
6. Will complete the SWC Dakota Language Teaching Certificate program and obtain Dakota language teaching certification.
7. Will commit to short-term and extended travel as required.
8. Will complete all required research and assigned readings.
9. Work with visiting Elders weekly.
10. Work with Dakota Language facilitator on a regular basis.
11. Complies with all College, Tribal, and Federal policies, regulations, and laws that govern the college.
12. May be required to assist with events.
13. Performs other duties as assigned.
• High School diploma or GED required.
• Has completed Dakota Language 1 or higher level Dakota Language class within the last three years.
• Proficient with Microsoft Office, office machinery, and social media.
• Must have excellent verbal and written communication skills.
Required Skills and Attributes
• Must be highly motivated to learn the Dakota language.
• Excellent planning, organizational, and time management skills (including punctuality).
• Ability to work well as a team player.
• Displays high standards of ethical conduct. Conducts oneself with Dakota Wicohan.
• Will maintain a drug and alcohol free lifestyle.
• Works with minimal supervision. Demonstrates responsible behavior and attention to detail.
BA in Dakota Studies or related field.
Three years of professional experience.
Experience learning a second language.
SISSETON WAHPETON COLLEGE
Dakota Studies Program
JOB OPENING – CLOSES FRIDAY, JANUARY 26, 2018